One Thing Is Necessary
Jared Compton / December 29, 2019
BIBLE PASSAGE FOR THIS SERMON
Martha and Mary
38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
- Which of the sisters do you identify with more: Martha or Mary?
- If it's not service for Jesus, what is it that keeps you from listening to Jesus, to God's word?
- If it is service for Jesus that keeps you from listening to Jesus, can you explain why you choose the one over the other?
- What is your plan for listening to God's word in 2020 (where? when? what?)?
- Who will you share your plan with?
- In your own words, describe why listening to God's word is so important.
Jared Compton is bringing us this end-of-year message from Luke 10:38-42. He has titled it “One Thing Is Necessary.”